Saturday, July 30, 2011

A View From The Front

Not a heading you would expect from me.
I was last to turn up at the top barn for the start of this year's Coope's Dozen - as expected - and then I was encouraged to go off with the quick(er) group : Tony asked me not to call it the fast group! The group comprised Albert, Tony V, Paul Boardman and Mark Sammon. I'd run a few races at similar to pace as Mark but ALbert, Tony and Paul have always been significantly quicker than me.
The run up to Noon Hill was pretty straightforward but I lost ground going across the rough stuff on the direct route to the Pike. The good running on Georges Lane meant that by the climb to Two Lads I was back with the group and enjoying the run. The reservoir soon arrived and then the tricky narrow path across to Egg Hillock. The next section across to Counting Hill was very difficult across the tussocks and ferns. We then regrouped and went across to pay respects at Steve Barlow's plaque. I then pushed it to the trig point so I could get ahead and not hold them back too much on the descent to Horden Stoops. YJ met us with some refreshments and Paul bade his farewell, having completed his morning's run.
The next section was difficult for me but they waited for me at Old Adam's. Across to Spittlers and once we'd dropped down to the flags I was in my element and happy to make some effort up to Great Hill. A direct line off in the direction of Black Hill Upper took us to a good surface before the the descent off Round Loaf was the final one on a challenging surface. Regrouping just above Gamekeeper's Cottage, I knew the hard bit was over provided the stamina held up. The road descent and then the climb up to Healey Nab were very enjoyable passing a very attractive large yellow mushroom, which none of us risked tasting. The most direct path to Heapey Fold Lane included a bit of ducking under the trees and avoiding the thistles but it was all plian sailing back to the car park for a finishing time of 4hrs 50. I had been concerned about my stamina but was very happy that I was able to run up the steps from the stream towards Rivington Green and keep up a good pace to the finish.
Big thanks to the group for waiting for me at Counting Hill and Old Adam's.

No comments: