Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Who Had a Good'n at Duddon?

Obviously not me. I was third from last on Harter, closely followed by a guy who left me for dead on the descent, and also by a lady who had already declared that she was retiring as soon as she hit the next road; so once the climb to Hardknott was commenced I was bringing up the rear.

Approaching the summit I was surprised to meet Colin W, my travelling (and as it turned out, my retiring) companion, retracing his steps back to the road, not to get a better run at the ascent, but to find the shortest route back to the Newfield Inn. I soldiered on and got quite close to the quick descender (all things are relative) on the climb up Little Stand, but he was well out of sight by the time I slumped down near the Three Shires Stone.  Being only seconds inside the cut-off and knowing that the allowed times reduce along the route, I opted for the coward's way out and retired voluntarily. Jogged down towards Cockley Beck and then accepted a lift back from the marshalls when they enquired after my health.

Met up again with Colin on the field, waited to watch the finsh for a while, and then set off for home shortly after he had captured the following:-

TF was obviously, and quite rightly so, delighted with her run, as we were for her (but not as delighted as we would have been had we finished as well). Well done TF ~ note to self, must show this race more respect next year.

For the record, I won't even be a starter at Wasd'le. (this year).

Snowdonia training starts on 26th June.

No comments: