Sunday, June 05, 2011

Duddon Valley Fell Race

Well I've finally laid the ghost to rest. Weather-wise the the early conditions were similar to 2008, very hot before you got the first delightful hint of a breeze going through the gate on the climb up to Harter Fell. CW had passed me but I caught him up again before the summit. 58 mins to the top and a little behind on my predicated split for a 5hr finish.

I managed a smile for the camera on the climb up Hardknott - the sign the photographer had left out told you to! Thence onto my nemesis Little 'Sit Down' as I affectionally called it in 2008. Well not anymore, it can now revert back to Little Stand, a very determined effort to climb without any rests and I made it. Down to 3 Shires Stone and I was nearly back on track, 3 mins off the 2hr30 for the split.

Despite being a championship race and the number entered (although not all turned up) I was surprised to see how gaps between runners appeared and as I approached the point where you bear off right to contour round Great Carrs there was a huddle of 4 runners in front looking intently at the map. They admitted to being too busy talking to watch where the ones ahead had gone. TF to the rescue, taking them on the grassy route instead of the rocky one! Ran round with the same group of runners all the way to Caw, pointing out the summits we were due to go to, just in case they fancied running ahead, none seem too inclined, I wonder why?!

It wasn't until I was halfway to Caw that I thought a 5hr finish was really on. A dicey moment trying to take too big a step at one point, eliciting the first twitch of cramp in my left thigh. Had to decide, do I lead with left leg only so only get cramp in one leg, or go for right leg and risk cramp in both. Decisions, decisions. Fortunately no more big steps to clamber up before the summit, leaving me with 25 mins to get to the finish. Made it in 13, phew! EtU and CW were there to greet me, I'll let them explain how they got back before me.

Final time 4:46:23, 227/268 http://duddonvalley.fellrace.org.uk/races/long/2011

TF


ps Wasdale is now back on, it's official. No rest for the wicked!

No comments: