Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Rab Mini Mountain Marathon Update

Well they've deliberated and the results are here - split times http://www.darkandwhite.co.uk/results/RaceKit2011Round3splittimesbyclass.html,
and overall results
http://www.darkandwhite.co.uk/results/RaceKit2011Round3overallplaces.html
Not much explanation from the organizers, except it appears that they've added a ten minute penalty for those coming down the hill from 12 to 7 (should have backtracked to 15 and then onto correct path) and a 5 minute penalty for those going up the hill from 7 (should have gone to 15 first, then 12)

Yours truly escaped any penalty points by virtue of the fact that I finished with more than 10 mins to spare, phew!! I did however have a very grovelling email prepared and ready to send expressing my sincere apologies and promising not to do it again, so long as I wasn't banned from any future events and could therefore keep my entry for the 2 day mountain marathon in September.

By my reckoning 42/112 competitors were affected by their inability to interpret the map correctly, including some like me who finished with time in hand. So adding time penalties and not disqualifying us all probably makes good 'business' sense. I think competitors and organizers will have both learned from this experience. I know I have.


Well done to EtU for completing the Madrid Marathon. It can't be easy when you've not had much of a chance to reconnoitre the course and know what to expect mile by mile.

TF

No comments: