Monday, March 14, 2011

Haworth Hobble/Wuthering Hike

Congratulations to the gang for putting up with the Novice Hobbler. I did warn everyone that I wasn't sure what would happen after 22m, as that was the furthest I done in one go on an off-road route.

Having handed over the navigating responsibilities to YJ, I just had to relax and soak up the atmosphere. With the added bonus of being able to stuff my face for over 7hrs. I reckoned I'd have about 5200kcal to play with, using some basic sums to calculate my daily allowance with a base of 2000kcal + 100kcal / mile.

So I went for it. The day kicked off at 5.00am with a bowl of porridge. Arrival at registration just after 7.00am and 4 biscuits. CP1 snaffled the biggest bit of shortbread before YJ. CP3 Shortbread again. CP4 hot dog sausage (for the salt) and hotcross bun. CP5 Jelly babies and Shortbread again, declined offer of tot of whisky. Last CP jam doughnut. Post race refreshment was a bowl of pasta and vegetables and a selection of buns/cakes. I also made light inroads into the bag of dried fruit I was carrying in my rucksack pocket.

I was one ounce heavier on Sunday morning than Saturday. I'm blaming that on the 2 Ibuprofen I had at Stoodley Pike taken in preparation for the last 10 miles. Definitely tipped the balance!

Will I be back? Of course, other plans permitting. Having been expertly led and encouraged round the route by YJ without putting a foot wrong, I'm confident I could manage it again. I would say that having done the Hobble now, if you like this race then you have to do the 'Hebden'. It serves as a good warm-up and has the added bonus of a proper flushing toilet at the halfway point. The post race refreshment this year included mulled wine and waitress service, always a bonus when you've seized up!

TF

No comments: