Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Amble ramble-ings

It all seems to have been said as far as the Amble and Winter Hill outings are concerned, except for my own particular observations.


Started the Amble feeling good with lots of effort early on keeping me in touch with NLN but the slippery conditions underfoot were soaking up a lot of energy from everyone and probably had an adverse effect on all our times.

The invisible cord that seemed to be keeping NLN on my heels during the middle section finally broke on the run across Darwen Moor from the tower. But the threat was ever present.

As far as Sunday is concerned the race went as well as I dared hope. TF was in sight for the last time just before the Shooting Hut and the descent to the bottom of the ramp showed me at my worst form. The climb was slow and easy and a good descent to the knoll followed and I declined a lift back from the marshals. Getting out of the dip was like climbing a greasy pole as all the vegetation had been scoured from the almost vertical slope by those ahead of me.

By the trig point it was obvious that I wouldn't make the cut off at the wooden bridge so I retired myself and took the easy way down to the bridge, arriving 10 minutes out of time.

Energy was not as much a problem as slow pace because once back at the car there was enough juice left to take me down the road to clock up nine miles on the Garmin.

Congratulations to all those who did complete, especially to EYJ on his impressive win.

No comments: