Monday, January 10, 2011

Well I've done it....

Entry now in for for the 3 Peaks. 15 weeks to go to get myself race fit, with a small matter of Edale Skyline at week 11.

Training started in earnest this weekend with a recce of the Edale Skyline route. Starting at Losehill (Hotel was on side of Losehill) and round to Jaggers Clough on Saturday and the remainder (Win Hill) on Sunday. Sunday's shorter route allowed a bit of testing of timings for 'racing line' vs 'main path' route up to the summit of Win Hill . Didn't quite pan out as I expected. I was 15 secs quicker on 'main path' and ran this route after I'd run the 'racing line'.

Could be a tough call on race day. 'Racing line' is more sheltered from prevailing winds, but a narrower path/trod which could make passing runners awkward, always assuming I'm close enough to get past anyone. 'Main path' is more exposed, but could be better running especially if it's been really wet the week before race and makes passing other runners easier. The other 'racing lines' offered on the race map were obvious quicker routes, especially given the underfoot conditions on Saturday on some sections.

Will be out hopefully on thurs for a utup and some hill reps. Saturday I'm at the hairdressing utup so have looked up the race diary and found myself a nice 'little' 12 miler to do from Littleborough on the Sunday instead. Anyone received their paper copy of the Fell Calendar yet? Still not got mine and it was posted out on the 14th Dec. Mind you I'm still receiving xmas cards at the moment, one arrived from Knutsford today!

1 comment:

John the Elder said...

My FRA subscription was sent on the 28th. Later than yours, of course, but no calendar yet.