Sunday, January 09, 2011

Old Man, Same Old Story

Saturday saw the Swift bros repeating, in reverse, last week's tour of Healey Nab, the Brinscall Triangle, Great Hill and Spitlers Edge (this week's order) in the slightly faster time of 3:11 ~ 13.09 miles.

Slight drama approaching Rivington Green as we mixed it with the cows that had harassed JtE some months earlier. YJ had skipped past the bovine blockade, but I became engaged in a sort of Mexican stand-off with fairly determined beast that instead of backing off, moved menacingly forward. Whilst not wanting to show fear, I noted that the fence behind me had an uncomfortable looking topping of barbed wire. However, loud shouting and a threatening posture (not usually my style) seemed to persuade the beast that it shouldn't bother and I was able to reach the gate with my body and most of my dignity intact.

Sunday saw us both (that's me and YJ rather than me and the cow) toe the line for the Garstang 10k. Suffice to say that YJ took the MV70 prize in 48:21, almost 9 minutes ahead of the second placed man in his age group, and 160th overall in a field of 350 finishers. The race was won by David Rigby of Preston Harriers in 32:45, whilst I finished 248th in 53:25. Not a good time, but not too disappointing after the flu and the resultant bad chest.

Lets see what the Chernobyl 10k brings on the 23rd.

No comments: