Sunday, November 07, 2010

Saturday Morning

Left my Brownie at home in the expectation that we would have a more experienced cameraman with us, but he failed to show, so no photos from the fell. I had taken one from home in the rearly morning sun, but it didn't turn out as well as expected. However, as I flicked through my collection I came across this one which I hope you don't mind me sharing with you.


It's a comma, taken this summer on my developing Buddleia hedge. Quite a fine little chap(ess?) I thought.

Enough of that. EYJ and I met at the Top Barn soon after the appointed hour and set off to do the climbs. We were blessed with a fine, if chilly, morning and on the descent from Two Lads towards Pike Cottage we met t'Y who was chatting up a novice lady runner, trying to impress her with his tales of derring do. We advised her to ignore him and the three of us continued on to the Pike, Noon Hill and thence via George's Lane to the trig point.

Not wanting to interfere with my recovery between Snowdonia and the Tour of Pendle, I suggested that we just do the Pike again before calling it a day. We climbed the Pike in pursuit mode with me having a sustantial start, followed by t'Y then EYJ. The later starters had been too generous with their suggested handicaps and we topped out in our starting order.

On the top we met Tony V and chatted for a while before doing one final short effort on the Pike steps, back up to the top. When we arrived back at the Barn EYJ and I had been on our feet for 2 hours 59, t'Y presumably a little less. It must be acknowledged that much of this time had been spent chatting, admiring the view and generally dawdling. Total distance, nine and a bit miles, height climbed not known ~ quite a lot?

A good morning out.

2 comments:

NLN said...

Lovely Pic EtU, hope to make a rare appearance next Sat

t'Yorkshireman said...

I've estimated my ascent at a little over 1700ft. I guess you and EYJ did a further 100ft or so. EYJ made me work hard going up the back of WInter Hill - I reckon fastest I've done that climb in over ten years. Just measured it on gmaps - it's only 0.54 of a mile, but it is approx 500ft ascent.