Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Track tonight, where I'll have a few quiet thoughts

I'd planned to go down to the track tonight and I've just heard the news which will make the session somewhat more reflective. Track sessions is something I associate with one man - Norman Matthews. I've just heard the news an hour ago of Norman's passing, so when I get a track I shall think of the sessions that he started with EtU, JtE, Gary Harold, and (after a few weeks, YJ). It was probably 1991, initially at Rivington School grass track then Robin Park, Witton Park (while Robin Park was renewed), back to the new facilities at Robin Park and finally our own track at the Arena. I've always been a long way off ever being an elite athlete but Norman would ensure JtE, YJ and I got equal benefit to the international level athletes who would later join us and come and go.
I'll not be able to get away from my lectures on Thursday for his funeral but his encouragement will live on in me and I shall be thinking of him.
Rest in Peace, Norman

No comments: