Monday, September 20, 2010

Saturday's Utup

It was just me and EYJ on Saturday. We started the day with some sad news as EYJ had been informed the previous evening that Norman Matthews (Head Coach at Horwich RMI Harriers) had passed away peacefully at home on Thursday following a long illness. I'm sure all of us that knew Norman would wish to pass on our condolences to his wife Brenda and his family.

With just the two of us it seemed sensible to make the most of the opportunity to go and do a bit of recceing for the Winter Hill Fell Race. I've also decided to make it a target race as part of my preparation for having another crack at Edale Skyline next March. EYJ was interested in checking out the section from the trig to the wooden bridge near ammunition corner.

So our route for the morning took us to pike cottage - two lads - WH Trig - Georges Lane. Now my recollection of race day/previous recces was that we turn right and run along to the gate and climb over that. However, it now appears that someone is taking a more direct route to the bridge as the fence opposite the stile has now been cut and a gap has appeared. We didn't use this as not wishing to leave any incriminating footprints, but I'd be curious to know that if the gap is left, will it be a legitimate access point?

From the bridge we climbed back up to Noon Hill. There's now a more definitive trod leaving the cairn heading towards the next cp at the stream junction. Much more so than when I last recce'd it. At the stream junction we opted for the climb back up and round the Pike to drop back through the Chinese Gardens. We had discussed the various route options from the stream junction but we decided that 'time trials' on these options could wait for another day.

I don't think we'll have covered many miles but we did get in a good natter and some useful route finding and at the top barn bumped into the Sweatmans, so further nattering.

I won't be out for Utup on Saturday as I'm off doing my Mountain Marathon in the Lakes. I'll be available for a utup on thurs evening though, if no takers then I may go for a run late afternoon instead.

TF

No comments: