Friday, August 20, 2010

A good week - but not the first to retain t'cup

Yes, I have retained the Fielden Cup but I'm not the first to do it. H.K. Williams won in 1955 & 56 and C.E. Stringfellow in 51 & 52 (any relation to Mark?) so after trying in vain for 20 years for a first win, I'm the third in the trophy's 112 year history to successfully defend it.
I did manage to convince Pete land that one victory over Mr Ramsdale back in February (and none since) was insufficient evidence to force me give him a start. If were a gambling man, my money would have been on Ali, who made a last minute decision to race. To be honest I doubt the handicapping could have been any better. Pete set off slightly quicker than me. I caught him just before the first turn by the bowling club and he then sat on my shoulder until near the end of the out-run on The Street. He overtook about 20m before the turn but I hung on and realised that I wasn't going flat out so re-took the lead which tactically may not have been the best thing to do but I went for it.
The margin of 4 seconds shows how close it was and it was virtually a dead heat between Pete and Ali. Pete must have dipped better. I don't recall the exact time but doubt that Neil was more than 4 seconds further back, with the fastest time of the night.
I suspect that a number were missing because of the fell race but if you don't buy a ticket, you ain't going to win the lottery.

So the handicapper was not to blame - I needed to improve from 15:28 to 14:08 to beat the handicapper.

Anyone up for Sedbergh?

No comments: