Sunday, August 22, 2010

Failed to get to Sedbergh - luckily

For probably the first time in nearly three months, I slept past 7 and didn't wake up till 8.40. No problem I tough still got plenty of time to get up there for the traditional noon start. Finishing my breakfast at 9.15, I had a look on the web to see if anyone had posted last night wanting to lift share. As there had been no posting about the race at all on the FRA forum, I decided to double check that I'd got the right day. Then I saw it - 11am start. Oh sh1t - 1hr45 to make sure I've got everything, get there, park at the school and get across and register - possible but cutting it very fine.
Common sense prevailed - thought there is no point busting a gut to get there - could go and do a training run in the Howgills but is it worth the near 3 hour round trip.
Decided to do JtE's Great Hill route in the afternoon. Quite warm but no problem apart from the masses of people and cars to thread through around Rivington. Got to White Coppice in 45 with a bit of wind against me - not fast but okay. Up to Great Hill, stopping to have a chat with an LDWA walker I know : a bit behind time but I suppose it's a bit wet underfoot. Just over 30 minutes descent to the car park. Not fast but okay. Through the Chinese Gardens then quite quickly my legs are dead and can hardly run at all, having to walk bits of the descent to Rivi school. Final time 2hrs 22 - maybe knock off 5 minutes for stops but as slow as I've done for year and I think I've run it in under 1:50 a few years ago.
So obviously the weight loss is fine for short distances but I've no stamina. I would have really suffered at Sedbergh. I will just have to build up my strength and stamina gradually.

No comments: