Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Austria pics

NLN asked for some holiday snaps so blame her. Not as spectacular as the Rockies, in fact the least spectacular of our Austrian excursions. I was out of my depth on Saturday whilst the rest of the gang were pretty impressive. My flourish at the end was only because I'd missed out Great Hill. It's not good when I have to cut corners.


On the way up to Kitzbuhler Horn(1996 mtrs). Our first walk, so with over 4000 ft of climbing Christina did well. Had I realised beforehand I'd have left it for another day.

The start of the Hahnenkamm ski course which is featured on Ski Sunday. I'm not sure if the guy's looking at the info about next year's races or if he can't believe what he's seeing in the opening!

Bar behind our hotel in waterproofs(me not the bar) after 3hrs of rain out of a 6 hr mountain walk

A seriously large piece of meat at the Kitzbuhel festival

A well-earned pint in Kitzbuhel after a 8 hour hike in the mountains.

Some small goat-like "critters"

Coming down from the aptly named Staffkogel(2115 metres). We climbed over 4600ft which is a compliment to Christina as she doesn't walk the hills much.

A ridge we walked last year on our way to Sonnspitze(2062 mtrs)north of Staffkogel.


Sonnspitze

The Hinterglemm valley where we stayed last year. It was nice to come across places we'd been to previously.


View from our balcony of the Wilder Kaiser range


Schwarzsee just outside Kitzbuhel with Kitzbuheler Horn in the background and Christina's boat in the foreground. The squares on the blue mat are for a triathlon which was due just after we left.
Kitzbuhel


No comments: