Sunday, July 25, 2010

Gritstone Tryal

No don't ask, 'cos I don't know why it's spelt like that. But 'tryal' it was, well locating the first check point anyway. I did occur to me (once I'd cleared the half way cut -off, concentrating too hard before then) that I'd arrived with enough time to go and do a recce for CP1. Registration opened at 8.30am, race started at 9.30am (mass start) and you were given the map as you registered so you had time to plan your route.

What I should kick myself for was that I knew exactly where CP1 was, but like a lemming decided to follow everyone else down the wrong path over the cliff. I'd used the correct path about 6 weeks ago for an orienteering event on the same bit of Teggs Nose!!

Anyway rest of it passed without a hitch, and I got to explore a few more bits of the Peak District. Travelling down one tricky rocky path I was informed by a fellow runner that it was part of the route for the Bullock Smithy Hike and that it was a change for him to come down it in daylight. Having got to the bottom I thought it would be one event I might give a miss, the 56 mile length factored in the decision too!

I'm not sure if I'll be able to make midweek utups, but should be ok for 2 hrs on Saturday.

TF

No comments: