Monday, June 21, 2010

70@70

Sounded like a gallant effort made by YJ to battle against the beastly Northerlies blowing along the Pennines. With a linear route you haven't got the luxury of a better 2nd half with the wind on your back. But then YJ doesn't do things by 'halves' and I'm sure will be back to triumph on the full 70 miles.

Great Lakes Run

I on the other hand could only contemplate less than a half of a half of the mileage planned by YJ on Saturday. My challenge was a circular-ish route known as the 'Great Lakes Run' (13m/7000ft) organized by the Lakesrunner shop and Ambleside AC. Having failed to complete the race last year, I was back for another go.

This year I was in luck, the weather was kinder (not as hot) and I had trained better, including some very useful recceing assisted by YJ. So chuffed to bits to say I got round, comfortably clearing the cut-off time at the half-way point much to my relief. Total time 5hr 33mins 09secs. Full results are on
www.lakesrunner.com on the events calendar section (sorry couldn't get direct link to work).

What I hadn't realised when I set off, having been too nervy to do a head count, was how few women had turned up to run. So imagine my shock when crossing the finishing line to be told I was first LV40 (5th lady) and had won a prize. Wildest dreams would never have come close to imagining that!

TF

(hoping to be out for a UTUP on Saturday this week)

No comments: