Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Keeping in touch

First, I envied you your trip to Coniston. What a great day out. Secondly, well done to everyone for their racing achievements, but in particular to YJ for continuing to astound us with his times in the marathons. I nearly wrote " his marathon times", but that would have given completely the wrong impression. I can't understand this obsession with benchmarks. Forget the marks, head straight for the benches.

I started back running a month ago and soon realised that I've never been so unfit since I started running. Unfortunately, my return to running clashed with a heavy workload and I've only been managing three one-hour runs a week, from home. Still I'm improving and my legs are getting stronger. At first they were as weak as they look which was pretty worrying, as they could have snapped at any time.

I have a route that takes me about 1hr 18mins at my normal not-training-for-anything-in-particular level of fitness. The plan is to get to that level and by then, hopefully, I'll have more time so that I can increase the duration of my runs. After that it's off to the Belmont Hills to get some climbing in my legs. The only reaction to my injury was when, in an attempt to get some kind of fitness, I did some hill-reps. Probably, a bit too soon.

We're off to Tewkesbury tomorrow for our first caravan holiday for nearly 12 months. It's going to be mid-July before I can rejoin the Saturday Utupies(Stop cheering). I've already committments(non-running) on three Saturdays in June and the first two Saturdays in July. Anyway, hopefully I'll have regained my fitness by then and you wont have to carry me. I'm not all that heavy mind you. I'm sure the ladies would have no trouble.

Well done to EtU for organizing the hill-climbing sessions. It's unfortunate it's on Tuesday. Everything in my life happens on Tuesday. I could go into a catatonic state for the rest of the week. I think a lot of people would be in favour of that!

Keep enjoying yourselves.

No comments: