Monday, May 17, 2010

In today's Bolton News

If you are a reader of the Bolton News (formerly the Bolton Evening News), you may notice a little article on page 15 of today's paper. The start is now getting closer and closer - less than 4 weeks and I shall be on my way to 550 miles of hills and more hills - in fact mountains. The training is going well and I apologise for being absent from UTUPs - maybe I can join on Saturday although I may be required to go to Keswick (prior to Morecambe in the afternoon).
Yesterday I had a little walk with five others in the Lake District. Due to comitment the previous evening I joined the others two hours into the walk and so only completed about 26 miles, whereas the others did the full 31.5 miles of the 30 mile (!) High Street Stroll. I think its name of "Stroll" is slightly misleading - we certainly weren't strolling. There's a bit more on my blog but the route is Ambleside - Kentmere - Nan Bield Pass - Harter Fell - Branstree - Mosedale - Selside Pike - Mardale Head (bottom of Haweswater) - Kidsty Pike - High Street - Thornthwaite Crag - Stony Cove Pike - Kirkstone Pass and then back to Ambleside where we arrived at 9.15p.m. This equates to about 22 minutes per mile, slightly quicker than our Coniston run although I believe the climb was only about 8000ft - I've not got an accurate figure yet.

No comments: