Monday, May 03, 2010

A bit of running

Yesterday I tried to follow my daughter and her fiancé, Neal around the Horwich Triathlon to get a few photos and maybe videos but failing miserably, due to both batteries appearing to have much more charge in them than actually had. I did however manage to capture a shot of EtU on the run in with about a mile to go. I won't re-use the phrase "failing miserably' again, that would be unfair : I'm sure Ed will post his own views on his performance. I'll only post up the photo on request. Diane suffered a bit with her knee on the latter stage of the run but was still very satisfied as it was probably the hardest triathlon she has competed in. Neal just about matched his best time for an Olympic distance event, which considering that the additional distance and climb in the run and the hills of the cycling more than outweighs the shorter swim, was a brilliant achievement.

However, when I got home and mapped what I'd run it gave me 11 miles and 2000ft of climb. As I had decided to run in the Wray Caton Fell Race today, this was probably more then I should but who cares.
We arrived at Wray in good time (it can take an age to get into the village as the Scarecrow festival is very popular) and safely - just - a pigeon had decided to have an argument with the car on the way up the M6. It won't be arguing again.
Hovering round the institute were names from the past : Neil Wrigley, Allan Blinkhorn and Trevor Dibben. It seems the weather is bringing people out to run.

Seemed to have quite a decent run. Was only overtaken by seven on the descent (10 actually but got three back after the bridge), to finish in under the hour, 59:30 according to the results although my watch said 59:54! As last year's time was 67:30, I can't complain about that. Neil was well in front but did manage to beat Trevor and Allan.

So that's 18 miles and 3100ft towards my May target - but I am looking for 30,000ft of ascent this month so need a few Coniston-like days.

YJ, there is youtube video of Saturday's race here if you would like to relive the glory of the course - couldn't see you in it - maybe there'll be an extended edition.

No comments: