Friday, May 14, 2010

70 at 70

Due to logistical problems the run I was planning down the Pennine Way from Hadrian’s Wall will now begin from Edale and travel northwards, hopefully ending at Gargrave near Skipton.

The date will be June 19th and the run is planned to mark my 70th birthday (albeit a few months late). The main support will come from Eden and Sally with Sheila remaining with the car. Although both Eden and Sally have run marathons this year neither of them have much fell running experience nor are they used to navigating and I shall rely on them carrying extra gear for me while I find the way.

The mileage they can cover will be limited so I expect to spend long stretches on my own which will make the run something of an adventure but not a prospect that fills me with dread.

Of course, if anyone wants to join me for short or long sections I will be most delighted . The problem will arise in support runners getting back to their cars as the main road support car will at times, because there are few north to south roads, be dashing to make their next rendezvous with me. If anyone wants to support and can find a solution to this problem their help will be most appreciated.

I am in the process of working out a schedule based on a 3 am start from Edale and finishing some 70 miles and 19 hrs 30 mins later. I will post it as soon as it is completed.

I have begun to build up the training mileage and am now incorporating a mid week run in the West Pennine Moors area plus a long Saturday run with the squad. If anyone fancies a trip to the Lakes for a long day’s running either midweek or weekend their contribution would be a great help.

Saturday 15th May

I will be UTUPing and if my warm up lap (starting about 7 a.m.) doesn’t slow me down too much I will hope to make Darwen Tower with the squad. My emphasis is now on slow and steady.

No comments: