Sunday, April 18, 2010

A middling sort of race

Didn't join the rest on Saturday morning as I'd decided to have a go at the Radcliffe 10k Trail Race today which is a counter in the club's road championship. I would have preferred to have done the LDWA walk encompassing the Three Peaks but as I was djing at Formby Hall last night a 6am meet-up for car-sharing was not attractive when I didn't expect to be home until 1.30am at the earliest this morning.
I did 4 miles yesterday afternoon and felt somewhat sluggish so, arriving at the start with only 5 minutes to spare, I wasn't expecting much. The course is certainly undulating with plenty of pot-holed and rutted surfaces to keep you on your toes. My initial plan was to follow Paul Murray and keep just behind him but of course I blew it going past him after about a mile or so and then focussed on catching Blandy. Similar to last week, I seemed to tire after about 3 miles where Paul overtook me and I hung on to finish in 46:32. If the course really was 10k then I am very happy because all the little climbs and descents and challenging surface will have add a minute or two. The race was won by one of TF's team-mates in 33:23 with the Horwich trio of Ali, Bell-boy and Colin Rigby taking the next three positions.
I finished 115th and there were 230 finishers so very much a middling run or to be more precise, a median run.

Hope YJ had a cracking marathon down in Brighton. Today was also the half marathon debut for my daughter Diane, who ran a very creditable 2:02:17 in Edinburgh this morning with nearly a third of the 3092 runners behind her. No doubt she will soon push this below two hours now she has experience of the distance and will be outpacing me.

No comments: