Sunday, March 21, 2010

More on the Two Crosses

I staggered in even later than NicO - much later. I also started later, about thirty minutes later to allow last minute entries and late arrivals to set off. With fellow sweeper, we set off and were within about 20 yards of the back-markers where the two routes split (and they followed the 18 mile route). We continued on the full route but never actually caught the final 25 mile finishers due to a combination of their good speed, time spent at checkpoints checking over potential disappearances and me suffering from a blistered heal from about two hours in. I was also purposely carrying a fair sized pack of about 7kg for practice. BTW, we were walking not running and I shall be throwing the walking socks I wore into the bin as that was the diagnosis of the cause of my discomfort.
The weather varied from coldish fog early on to blazing sunshine in the early afternoon, finishing with a light shower in the final mile. Only 91 of the 214 who started actually took the full 25 mile route and I suspect a good proportion were runners.
Following two days of two hour (or more) runs, I found it a hard day out - much harder than last week's Hobble but it's all miles in the bank.
Changing the subject, Beesley was much better behaved in the evening as we ate at the Bay Horse where the food was quite good (although the menu a little limited) but the beer was unsurpassable.

No comments: