Monday, March 01, 2010

Back to Back Races

Well maybe I should know better at my age but over the weekend I managed not one but two races. Luckily my commitment to competing in the English National Cross Country Championships stopped me from entering Noonstone. More later.

Ended up just me in the car going over to Leeds as Pete wanted watch the 11am race. I duly parked at former clubmates' house who live only five minutes away from the course. By that time I was not in a good mood as the Terriers had turned first half domination into only a 1-0 lead to be followed by then going 2-1 down to that lot from the city where I now was. No problems as they later recovered for yet another home draw - and retained the only unbeaten home record in the division.
Got over just in time to cheer on the U13 boys (we actually had three in the race!), met up with Pete, got my timing chip and had a little jog around and chatted to my friends from Abbey Runners. We nearly had 3 seniors but Gary was suffering from a cold so took the wise decision not to race and just support us.
3pm and were off. Had forgotten which pen number we were in so just set off at the back of the field : I needed to take it steady as the muscles behind the knee (semimembranosus?) were very tight. So took it steady with lots of unfamiliar vests and only Barry Chester who I recognised a little in front of me. Gradually moved up and found my level. Made ground on the descents and struggled on the hills a bit (always used to be the opposite). In the end managed a good sprint finish for a time of 61:34 to see Pete just ahead of me in the finishing funnel. Although I'd never seen him in the race, I finished only 37 seconds adrift. Looking back at the results of the last time it was held on the same course in Roundhay Park (2004), I had improved by 9 minutes so obviously very happy. I was also close to beating my old boss from 25 years ago (he is to blame for me running!), just 6 seconds adrift. With a drier course I may have ducked under the hour (saw a few come a cropper on the muddy descents).
I had been invited back to my old clubmates (Colin and Hetta) who were having a bit of a party so when I got there I got news from returnees from Noonstone (nice to meet you, Leeds Rhino and fjellrünner) and the lovely conditions that YJ had to endure. One of them also had to rescue a young lady up to her waist in the bog. Also chatted with Brendan Bolland's sister and enjoyed some great food.
The weather forecast had suggested that Sunday wouldn't be a good day for turning out in the Lostock 6 but when the morning arrived it seemed pleasant enough, so at half ten I jogged over to the registration and got my number. Again it had to be a steady run but I still managed my fastest time since 2003 despite being somewhat weary in the final two miles. Bazza was well in front.

Coope's Dozen
JtE - I think your suggestion that Paul Murray's V50 time is a big ask for me is the understatement of the century! It's only 17 minutes slower than Kev's course record and faster than Brent's time.
It would however be a good warm up for me en route for my challenge. I think I need a steady run on it followed by a blast once I don't have to think about route choice. I suspect my previous best time is in excess of 4hrs30.

No comments: