Sunday, January 24, 2010

Northern XC and t'Hobble

Competed in the Northern's yesterday afternoon and appear to be the only one of the group doing so - no YJ or TF, presumably doing your Amble Recce. Bought some new 15mm spikes and fitted them for my first spikes run since my ill-fated Boggle Hole debacle many months ago. Changed my mind after looking at the worst of the mud and was about to don mudclaws, then was persuaded by Geraldine that I'd get much more traction with my spikes - just needed to take it steady early on. So decided to risk the spikes and hope I could complete the race without any mishap.
Started off gently running alongside Bazza for the first 3/400m then found my marker, Ted Orrell of Clayton, so thought let's stay behind him - no Mister Murray to make me hurry today! A four lap course with not only the saucer each lap but also the teaspoon but no brew at the top of them - most unfair. It seemed tough all the way round and having look on the map reveals that the 11.5k had about 1500ft of climb in it. If it were a fell race, it would be a B medium! One thing I forgot was my watch so when the results were posted, I found I was 6 minutes slower than last year's race at St. Helens. But as the winner was 5 minutes slower, I'll take that. The ones I was battling with, who ran last year, were between 5 and 12 minutes in front of me last year, so I can't argue with that! We even completed a team, for which I was the final counter. Plenty of support around the course with Geraldine, Suzanne, Alan & Christine (retired from the harriers but still supporting) and many more.

Well it looks like I've been deserted by Hobble partner of recent times. The last couple of years, he's avoided me by doing a race darn sarf and now he's found a new partner in NLN! What shall I do? Run solo or look for a new partner? Last year I ran solo and totally blew it, being on target for sub 6:30 after 11 miles and finished just inside 8 hours. The benefit of YJ was that he ensured I had a more conservative pace early on which paid dividends later in the race. I suppose I'm fitter and lighter than I have been for many years but still need to ensure I get it right. We'll see what happens.

No comments: