Sunday, November 22, 2009

Hi JtE,

In a nutshell, 1st Matt, 2nd EtU, 3rd YJ 4th TF

As YJ has already alluded to (and adding to my pre-race stress) were these 2 diversions. By my estimation these could add a vital 5 to 10mins to journey time depending on conditions under foot. I had expressed my concerns to the RO on collecting my number, who guess what 'hadn't thought of that'.

Thinking I was on my own in the clag locating the new CP1, I suddenly heard a voice behind me say 'glad you know where you're going'. We both agreed it was a long way round, but I felt a bit relieved when this Clayton runner told me 'Keiran's (RO) given us an extra 10mins for this'. When I last saw Keiran though, he had his running kit on, shouting instructions to us runners and was trying to unite some with their tags. I'd hoped he'd had time to give new instructions to the Marshall on CP4. This all meant we set off at 10:40am (by my watch), 10mins late. So cut-off time at CP4 could be any of the following

12:30pm - original time, allowing 2hrs if race started on time at 10:30am, marshall unaware
12:40pm - 2 hr allowance, knowing start time was 10:40am
12:50pm - 2hrs + 10mins, start time 10:40am

Anyway I decided I'd have to race to get there for 12:30pm just in case. I made it and got there within shouting distance of EtU. Who, once on less vertical terrain, shot off again. Thinking that would be the last I'd see of him, he reappeared from behind me nearing the top of the climb from CP5, this time it'd been an intentional diversion. Having reached the top, the first harbinger of cramp arrived. A brief twitch in my right calf. Note to self, need to remember to up the salt intake for these long races. I made it down the drop to CP6 just ahead of EtU, and only a little bit behind YJ. A short delay to put on my jacket allowed them to storm ahead.

Having nursed my way round to the drop for CP9 without any further 'twitches', I was dismayed to feel my left thigh go into spasm just as I launched myself off. It made for an interesting descending technique. Trying to start running again after the trig point brought on another episode. I managed to walk it off and got running again when I located the last trod. It definitely wasn't the weather for hanging about. I finally caught up with YJ this time just after the last CP, and was glad to be able to keep up with him for the final run in.

All credit to all the marshalls and helpers for sticking it out and letting us have our bit of fun on Pendle . I'll have to keep trying until I break the elusive 4hr30mins.

TF

No comments: