Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Downhill Route Last Night

I left the car at the RMI and set off for Scotsman's Stump about five past six, passing the parish church at 6:10 by the clock. As I started the struggle up Foxholes it was beginning to seem that reaching the Stump by 6:30 was unlikely, and as the time ticked away it became blindingly obvious that it was impossible.

Ever the optimist, I consoled myself with the thought that "they're bound to start late" and with the staggered start, it would be some time before the last runner was released from the trap. Also, there was bound to be another runner, on the last minute, getting a lift up to the start, who would share his lift with me.

But it was not to be. Two cars (unknown drivers) passed me on their way down, but neither stopped to offer me a lift up. When I finally arrived at the Stump it was deserted, so I made my final preparation (it was pretty dark by then, so I didn't have to stray far from the road) and set off towards the Pike. Fairly predictably, there was no Pike marshall, so it was a lonely run all the way through. There was a new fence near the bridge over Tiger's Clough, which threw me off my line (the dark didn't help much either) and I lost a few minutes finding it.

Then down Green Lane, across the playing field and as I approached Lee Lane, there was Peter Ramsdale walking back to his car, carrying a bottle of wine (don't know what he did to win that). We exchanged a quick word and then it was past Sam's Bar, across Station Park and back to the RMI. No-one outside, so checked inside, where the only occupants, apart from a barman in danger of redundancy, were lingerers from a Weight Watchers group (!).

Not a totally successful evening, but a reasonable work-out. Total time on feet from the clock in the car ~ one hour thirty minutes, but no time for the course, as no stopwatch.

The is a prize of a poke in the eye with a sharp stick for the best list of lessons that can be learned from this debacle.


Moving On ~ Well done YJ running at 7:56 pace for a tough half marathon. Your little brother was pleased to average 8:00 for a flat 10K!

No comments: