Monday, September 21, 2009

As predicted, Sunday's Langdale marathon was a stern test and a major disappointment in that my finishing time of 4hr 52min was my worst ever. For the first time I knew what it means to 'hit the wall' and this I did at 20 miles.

Up that point it had been a pleasant if strenuous outing with the warm sunshine bathing the surrounding fells and raising the temperature for those grunting round this two lap race. It could have been the heat, or the lack of recent long runs that progressively sapped the energy. As the half marathoners peeled off to their finish the road ahead became increasingly quiet with just a few companions to divert the mind from the task ahead.

By 20 miles walking, especially on the climbs was becoming more frequent and by 23 it was difficult to raise the pace to a run. At 24 miles an ambulance pulled alongside to check on my condition, driving on when I assured them that all the vital signs of life were still there.

Passing the car park for the last quarter mile meant more effort to impress the few spectators who had hung about. That last section was the hardest road run I can remember.

Desperate to gain some crumbs of comfort from the outing I was the winner (and only entrant) in my age group and, more positively, completed the first lap in 1hr 58mins, ahead of the age-group winner of the half marathon, Edward Corley of Horwich RMI, by 14 minutes.

The Langdale marathon's claim to be the toughest road marathon in the world does have some credence with its 3,927 feet of climb. Must do better next year.

No comments: