Saturday, August 15, 2009

Mission Accomplished

With the support of the gang, the purpose of today's outing was to lay the ghost, so to speak, of my disasterous February Amble when my back gave in by White Coppice and I had to be driven to the finish by a marshall. The idea today was, therefore, to complete the Amble route successfully.

We started UTUP with Nico, NLN and her friend Keith intending to support me for the full round and EtU, YJ and Matt for part of the round. All went well to the Turton and Entwistle reservoir car park where David met us with refreshments, Etu, YJ and Matt having left us by this time. Nico was suffering a migraine but decided to carry on. Shortly after the Strawberry Duck (now closed) the rain started accompanied by a strong wind and, soon, we were all soaked. We continued on to Darwen Moor and, not having anticipated these conditions, we were under dressed and it was therefore agreed that we should miss out Darwen Tower and drop off the moor to Slipper Lowe where FSS was waiting with his car. By this time Nico's migraine had become severe and she opted for a lift back to her car. The rest of us carried on over Great Hill and down to White Coppice and by this time Keith was suffering. Shortly after White Coppice it was agreed that NLN would stay with Keith and that I, trying to test my fitness, would leave them and see them at the finish.

Thanks to the superb help from all involved I am pleased to say that I finished strongly (by my standard of course) and I had plenty to spare. Further, there was not the slightest trouble from my back. This outing, therefore, has been an absolute success so far as I am concerned.

Many thanks to you all. I should be grateful if Nico and NLN would pass on my thanks to David and to FSS.

22.75 miles.

No comments: