Monday, July 20, 2009

Sunstroke and blisters at Kentmere

They took entries on the day at Kentmere, so I lined up with the rest of them on what had changed from a wild and blustery morning to a suddenly rather warm sunny afternoon. First race for my new mudclaws so made sure I got plenty of vaseline on my heels.
However, halfway up the first climb I could feel the first signs of them rubbing so I stopped and added some more vaseline and rejoined the climb at what was for me a leisurely pace, not wanting to push it - a long way to go.
Stopped again half an hour later - will tightening my laces make any difference? No! Well I'm not one for retiring if there's no timeouts and as I headed for High Street could see there were a few quite a distance behind. By High Street I'd caught Mark up again along with some women from Totley and Abbey Runners and another fellow just ahead - feeling very fresh but as usual struggling on the descents. As we headed for Kentmere Pike I was now struggling on the climbs, not because of fitness, but because my heels were killing me. Luckily some kind people from Chorley Harriers were giving support and provided me with some blister plasters about half a mile before Kentmere Pike - but all this stopping loses time. Wonderful views on this race btw. final descent of Kentmere was somewhat muddy then the flagged run-in where you think you've got lost because the flags disappear for ages. Eventually finished in 3:06 with my usual sprint!! but a feeling that I should have been 10 to 15 minutes quicker without the constant pain in my heels.
Sunstroke - it must have been sunny because despite suntan lotion, had a splitting headache by late evening.
Because, I'm usually on holiday at this time of year, it was the first time I've done Kentmere and it should be a route that I would generally enjoy. Hopefully I will get a chance to go back and post a decent time.
Plenty of photos at
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/TommoPix/KentmereHorseshoeFR2009?authkey=Gv1sRgCOqfzbDElvjaXQ
and
http://www.flickr.com/photos/north_ender/sets/72157621566411791/detail/

Hope to make Coope's Dozen but it all depends on if my packed for hols.

No comments: