Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Nineteen Years Ago

We mustn't get into too much nostalgia, JtE, or boast too much of past glories(?) but perhaps the team will forgive us the occasional trip down memory lane.

I'm fairly sure that 1990 was the year when, at the end of the final Kentmere climb, I felt I had left Gary Harold and Roy Edwards a comfortable distance behind, but as is so often the case, I had underestimated the paucity of my descending skills. With perhaps half a mile to go, my complacency was disturbed by the sound of scattering rocks as our two training companions made great inroads into my lead.

I raised the pace and managed to hold them off, but it was a very close call. John, seems like you have a copy of the results, can you confirm that I did manage to stay ahead, and by what margin?

Another little memory of the day is of my late mother-in-law giving my picnic orange to Albert Sunter. Was it that he needed it more than me, or because he deserved it more than me?

No comments: