Monday, June 29, 2009

Where did NicO get that finishing speed from?
Just myself and NicO from the group at Aggie's Staircase last Thursday with heat replacing last year's downpour. Plenty of familiar faces - Tony V, Albert, Colin W, the Smiths, Suzanne, Paul M etc. Took it steady on the initial climb, passing Smith the younger near to the tower with NicO some 10 yards ahead. Aforementioned Smith soon passed me on the first descent as did his elder brother who I managed to pass again just before starting the second climb with NicO a little further ahead. By the time we had returned to the ridge, NicO was maybe a minute ahead and I was trying to do my best to catch up. Smith the elder went past just as we turned off the main track down from the tower. Of course I lost many places as we headed through the mud and rocks just before the finish.
Looking at the results, NicO beat me by over seven minutes, about 5 minutes in front of Smith the younger (a good descender) and had gone ahead of Colin W and Paul M and was only a good two minutes from winning the women's trophy (Suzanne finished second by 3 seconds!)
So where did that descending prowess come from?
I also failed to be the final Horwich man, just staying ahead of Mark S fro the first time in 3 races.
Results at http://www.dashers.org.uk/results/aggies09.htm

Early morning training
Although I have failed to make the Saturday UTUP repeatedly, I did manage an 8am run on Saturday alongside the River Tyne on one of Diane's regular training routes followed by 45 mins on the Coastal Path north of Sunderland, even earlier on Sunday morning whilst she and her mates went for a 45 minute dip in the North Sea. Tockholes Gala race next Saturday if anyone fancies something after their 3 hour UTUP.

No comments: