Wednesday, June 24, 2009

TF missing again

Sorry to say but I'll be absent again on Saturday. That's the day I get to see if all the racing I've done this month has had any beneficial effect.

I'm going to attempt the Great Lakes Run. This is a 13m/7000ft route starting from Stool End Farm near Old Dungeon Ghyll and takes in the following summits Bowfell, Esk Pike, Great End, Scafell Pike, Scafell, Slight Side and Pike of Blisco. The half-way point is the foot of the gully to Foxes Tarn and the only check-point with a cut off time, this being 3hrs.

I haven't had a chance to recce this route, so have no idea as to whether the 3hr time limit is do-able, but I can only try. The winning time last year was Simon Booth in 2hrs46mins, the slowest 5hrs51mins. Helpful indicators as to the length of time between some of the early summits are on FSS's and EtU's Josh Naylor schedules and any clockwise BG schedules. Big question is, can I cover this ground at that pace?

At the end of the day even if I only get as far as Great End, I will have visited 3 summits that I haven't been to before and will be pleased to have given it my best shot.

TF

No comments: