Wednesday, June 03, 2009

How unfit can you get?

Having just completed my first mid-week race of the year (Calver Peak) I was completely appalled by the shocking amount of walking I had to do on 900ft of climb in 5m. So appalled in fact that I'm off back to the lovely Hope Valley on friday night for another bite of the bullet. Might take the gun with me this time!

So I'll give Hendersons End a miss, save the hassle for the organizers of having to rename the race next year.

Saturday 6th

EtU have a look at this.

http://www.sroc.routegadget.co.uk/cgi-bin/reitti.cgi?act=map&id=46&kieli=

This is the orienteering map for the 'White Coppice' area. It's a 1:7500 map with much more detail than the OS map (may take a little while to load). To see more of the map place the mouse arrow over the map, hold down the left button on the mouse and move the mouse. The map should move, revealing different areas. What this programme does is allow orienteerers to show each other what route they took on their course. Mine's on there, select 'night orange' course from drop down menu, click on my name and then click on 'view route'. My course was contained within the wooded area, so you need to be viewing top left section of map. If you select a few names, they need to be the ones preceeded by '*', you can compare routes.

I have a printed version of this map which I'll bring on Saturday. The section I have covers the wooded area that we normally run through. Obviously this is a lot more detailed than you probably need, but as you can see from the map there are lots more paths than the one we use. Hopefully you might find it useful to locate some potential noticeable features to use for your event. I'll let you borrow it if you need it to produce your own (more simplified) map.

TF

No comments: