Sunday, June 28, 2009

Great Lakes Run 13m/7000ft

I got as far as Scafell Pike. I lost sight of the other runners in front about 2/3rds the way up 'The Band'. So from there onwards it was just me, map & compass. I made it to Scafell Pike in 2hrs38mins, and decided I didn't feel there was sufficient time for me to make the 3hr cut-off time at the foot of the gully to Foxes Tarn. My times at the other summits were Bowfell 1hr 13mins, Esk Pike 1hr 38mins, Great End 2hrs 5mins. So as you can see I was only just about making JN/BG pace.

In my progress along the route it was becoming apparent that the runners immediately ahead of me (position-wise) were informing the marshals that they were last. The marshals on Bowfell and Great End had stayed a bit longer just in case, but the one from Esk Pike I passed on the path up to the summit and the one on Scafell Pike had disappeared completely. I did however speak to a nice man with a clipboard from the National Trust, who can vouch for the fact that I made it to the top along with the hoards of other visitors. So 5.5m and 4500ft into the route I turned round and headed back to Esk Hause and took the path to Angle Tarn and headed down Rossett Gill back to Stool End Farm.

So tried my best. But having recced most of the first half now and with a few important changes to my pre-race preparation, I'm sure I can do better. I'll certainly be back again for the post-race hog roast and beer. Getting a bit of a taste for it now, this time a strong Pale Ale from the Coniston Brewery. So I'm off now to go and try the other bottle of TT Landlords just for comparison!

TF
Working on the photo competition, can do 3 definites so far.

No comments: