Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Good Preparation Paid no Dividend

Recognising the value that some folk put on good preparation, before my holiday I searched my personal library for information on Oban. The only reference I could find was in the 2008 CAMRA good beer guide, which pointed me to the Oban Inn in Stafford Street. Should be easy to find with a name like that, I thought.

On Monday 22nd, my first full day in the area, I cycled into town to get my (the bike's) gears fixed and whilst they were being seen to, I went in search of the Oban Inn. On the way I saw a town map which indicated that Stafford Street was not only home to the town's eponymous Inn, but also housed the Oban Whisky Distillery. Good gracious! I thought, Staffers would be proud of this.

But no! When I got to said street, the distillery was, sure enough, alive and well, but the Inn was not only closed down but to add to its degradation there was a notice declaring that "All items of value have been removed". Sounds about right; one out of two ain't bad.

Wonder if they also removed the beer Matts?

EtU (Unquenched)

No comments: