Monday, February 09, 2009

Winter Hill ~ a Report from the Blunt End

Not a lot to report really, just the best part of 3 hours of Matt passing me on the downhills and me passing him on the climbs. Every time I had a good climb and thought "That should have got rid of the old so-and-so" two minutes later he'd come skipping past again. And so it went on.

Lost YJ at the start and didn't know whether he was way behind or way out in front, until at the top of the Ramp NLN said he hadn't come though yet.

Bazza Allman was in attendance for most of the race, not seeming to take it very seriously, and finally dropping back after CP7. Matt and I reached CP8 together and then I moved in front on the climb up to the path at the back of the Pike. Matt skipped past again on the descent and got to CP9 about 30 yards ahead.

I caught him at the gate early on the climb back up to the gardens and gave it one long last effort to some encouraging words from Matt as I went past. Caught a couple of other runners near the top and then tried to keep a decent pace going on the run in.

That Matt didn't catch me on that last descent was probably due in part to my extra mileage beginning to show benefits, and for Matt, the recent interruptions to his training; oh, yes, and his 8 extra years may have played a part.

Well done Matt (the oldest finisher in the race) you gave me a hard time.

For all my efforts, I was just 33 seconds faster than my last Winter Hill in 2004!

And commiserations to YJ, I'm sure it will all come together again soon.

EtU

No comments: