Thursday, February 19, 2009

Report from the Brother (Notso) Swift

Go on then, although I was hoping to be able to lick my (metaphorical) wounds alone.

I did it all wrong, didn't I. Moderate drinking on Friday night, and got me to the start on time. Not my usual preparation! Started off steady (with the ever present Matt), but we weren't together for very long. He soon realised that he was backing a loser and from the top of the Pike, off he went.

Having made a steady start, I had a steady middle, and an even steadier finish. Ran the middle section with Bowland Wayne, but I lost him on Darwen Moor when nature called and I found out that whilst damp sphagnum makes a quite acceptable replacement for toilet paper, frozen sphagnum is a quite different and much more uncomfortable matter. Suffice to say, Wayne got clean away and the next familiar face I saw (apart from the marshals) was Richard Longlands (of Horwich) when I passed him on the run in by Anglezarke quarries.

Arrived at the finish to see Wayne with an empty plate, having taken enough out of me to finish his lunch before I got back.

Pleased to see so many friends, happy with their outstanding runs. For me, a good, but not great morning out, but at least it was another 24 miles in the bank. I think the problem was that it was too soon after the previous weekend, what with three hours on Saturday and Winter Hill on Sunday ~ perhaps we could move to an eight day week to give more recovery time.

If it's clear on Saturday morning, look north to see me waving from the top of Gable.

TF ~ hope you don't suffer from the gasman position ~ where you stay in all day, but nobody comes.

EtU

No comments: