Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Just like old times

I haven't done many Fell races over the past two years due in part to injury, but mainly through disorganization and indolence, which is criminal at my time of life. Prior to this absence, EtU and I used to have our own race at these events. This had a set format. He overtook me on the ascents. I overtook him on the descents. Then on the final ascent he called upon his old friend Will Power, someone with whom I have only a nodding acquaintance, and streaked away(No, he didn't take his clothes off! God forbid! Heaven forbid! And everybody-else forbid!) to open up a gap about the size of Scotland, thereby giving me no chance of catching him up on the run-in. So as you can see from his report of the Winter Hill Race it was"just like old times" on Sunday.

Although care had to be taken in places because of ice and compacted snow, the conditions underfoot were much preferable to the boggy and watery terrain I had previously encountered, when going over part of the course. It was a very enjoyable race spent for the most part in the company of EtU and Barry Allman, with the added bonus of the ever-cheery NLN popping up at intervals to take photos and give much-appreciated support.

YJ will be back, and with a vengeance.

Here are some pictures taken by Christina, my Number pinner-onner.

At the start with " Orange vest" keen to get on the photo.



Running? in at the finish.


A motley crew at the end having picked up a stray Watters.

Look forward to seeing you on Saturday morning, although to me it seems nearer to Friday night.

No comments: