Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Anglezarke Shamble


I didn't have knackered knees. Knobbly, Yes. I didn't have scoliosis. I didn't run the course in bare feet. So I have no excuses. All was going well until the Strawbury Duck. Now my legs are used to taking me into it rather than past it, and from thereon threw a strop. They lost what little inclination they have to run, and had to be dragged around for the next 3 hours. YJ passed me as I re-fuelled at Slipper Lowe, and as I watched him run toward the Belmont road I reflected that I'd never actually seen him walk. It is my contention that as a toddler he skipped the walking stage, and went straight from crawling to running. And he hasn't stopped since!

The run-out in search of the JtE wasn't too bad. I'd had a couple of hours rest, with most of that time spent listening to NicO's entertaining stories, aided and abetted by the "Cheery one". So I set off in good spirits. Some walkers on their way in, regarded me with a mixture of amusement, and bemusement. The others recognised a simpleton when they saw one, and, seeing my gormless grin, decided that I looked happy enough and was best left to it.

When I reached White Coppice, not knowing JtE's number I issued a description; Old, knackered, crinkly, crumpled,doddery, decrepit and sad. " Yes, we can see that", said the Marshals, "but what about the guy who's missing?". Meanwhile JtE had obviously got wind of my plans to meet him. Being sound of mind if not of limb he decided that running the last stretch with me was a bridge too far, and opted for a lift back. I passed a few walkers on my run in, which must have been a bit confusing for them, having a runner around at that stage.

Now to clear a few things up. I can identify with mad, but image conscious? Hardly. Not someone who wears their hat Blackadder style(1st series). All I did was hang up my Helly Hansen, which had more creases in it than Mick Jagger.

The message relayed from White Coppice was; Message for John Coope. Your mate's standing here now. He says "'Don't wait". It's a good job there was only one pass of the message otherwise it could have ended up something like; " Message from the chickens in John's coop. Don't wait, your Easter eggs are standing here now".

Finally, this scoliosis. Iv'e been troubled by this all my life. People have always said I was unbalanced and was completely lacking in direction, but they didn't call it scoliosis. They called it stupidity. Are you quite sure that scoliosis is a medical term and not a Mafia Don?



Nico in the first stages of scoliosis

"Didn't they do well"

At long last I can raise a smile!

"I should be able to find that guy in front a pair of shoes"

No comments: