Saturday, January 03, 2009

A Down and Up 24hrs

EtU nearly managed to win his challenge unopposed. I was all for throwing in the towel last night. The results for last Sunday's race appeared and it had me 45mins adrift of the rest of the field, a whopping 3hrs and 43mins. Complete utter disbelief that I'd taken that long to cover 9 miles. I'd thought the 2hrs45 was bad. Not the best thing you'd want to read the night before doing a 22m run. So at that pace even the fast walkers would beat me!

That concerned about my poor performance I even posted a comment on the FRA forums asking for confirmation. Adding to my worries was a cash withdrawal from my bank account whilst I was supposedly still out on the moor. I didn't have a cash-point receipt, and wasn't 100% certain I'd done this. Amazing what you can recall and what you can't, my route for the day remains crystal clear!

Anyway, doubting the wisdom of turning up at The Hebden today, I decided that if I was truly that awful I could always cut it short, and do the 14m route. Well I'm so glad I did it, because it restored my faith in myself. A cracking route (had a bit of a preview last week) and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I completed the full 22m/4400ft in 5hr39mins, winner did 3hrs33mins.

On returning home, I received confirmation that I couldn't have been out for nearly 4hrs on Sunday. So nobody pilfering the current account except me and back to my rightful place where I belong - three from the back.

Game On EtU

TF

No comments: