Monday, December 08, 2008

Should their mothers let them out?
Following Saturday afternoon's cross country I decided to get a few hours' walking in on Sunday so set off from Rivington around 11am. A hard climb up to the Pigeon Tower (due to wearing walking shoes rather Walshes or Mudrocs - which struggled to grip on the icy inclines), I finally reached the bit below the grassy triangle to see a young to middle-aged bloke (with pregnant wife) heading towards me in his nice Audi A3. When I realised that he was about to continue down the hill (luckily the passenger window was open) I beckoned him to find out if he realised that were he to continue he would surely wreck his gleaming A3 - even a 4 wheel drive would come a cropper. Luckily for him he took notice and reversed : I could just imagine the response from the AA to call out on what you all know as the first climb in the Winter Hill Race. I think it's about time a barrier was placed after Pike Cottage.

Hope to see you all Friday, and maybe even Thursday as the TT fixture is on Tuesday this week. I managed get in 10 miles last Sunday with maybe 10ft of ascent as the route took in Nether Poppleton and Knapton, near York, accompanied by Diane. Her speed is now starting to give me concern - I think the day that she will outpace me over 4 or 5 miles is not far off. i'm going to have start training hard.

No comments: