Sunday, July 13, 2008

Wasdale 2008 ~ Now with PS

Fairly inevitably, I was timed out. It was on Pillar after 3 hours and 41 minutes of "running". Cut off time was 3:30.

Disappointing, but not a total disaster, as the awful tiredness that has afflicted my legs on so many occasions recently wasn't there and my time can't have been much slower than in 2003 when my training diary tells me that I was "timed out on Pillar, despite extended cut-offs". I think they had given us an extra 15 minutes then, as they did yesterday.

They day was fine and sunny to start and the trip was worth it, if only to see the view of the Scafells from Seatallan which seems to accentuate the grandeur of Mickledore.

No other Horwich runners that I could see, only points of contact were David P-T who was at the start prior to making his way up to Esk Hause (I didn't get that far) and Bowland Wayne who was a few minures ahead of me when we were both sent home. Also the guy from Glaramara who had passed me on the descent on that day but got timed out on Seatallan and a weedy youth who was whinging about not having recovered from some Mediterranean Iron Man (Lanzarote?) (also timed out on Seatallan).

Next year? I'll try again, but only if I feel significantly fitter in the lead-up.

Tally to date: 10 starts ~ 5 finishes. PB: 1994 5:42.

Joss? ~ yes, we said "how do?" on Greendale Bridge. Joss Naylor Traverse? ~ not this year.

PS ~ Although I'm quite sure I was timed out, the results on the CFRA website have me as a finisher in 6:33. I've emailed them.


Bill Oddie

Further to JtE's suggestion that Bill had been seen peering out of the undergrowth at 4 Grimeford lane, there have been no recent sightings.

Apparently he has been captured by a group of Japanese soldiers who don't know the war is over.

EtU

No comments: