Friday, May 09, 2008

Tigers Todger Fell Race 6m/880ft Weds 7th May

Look what happens when you leave the women in charge! If Ed’s managed to find a cyber café, he’s probably choked on his ouzo by now. Honestly it’s legit, check your FRA Calendar.

Can’t say I did this one just out of curiosity as I’d done it in 2006. But as it turned out it was glorious weather for an open-top drive. I got an early pass out of work and left Manchester and headed out along Snake Pass to arrive at Totley, which is situated just west of Sheffield (any one jealous yet?). The race starts and finishes at Sheffield Tigers RUFC ground and probably helps to understand the origin of its moniker, because nothing else does and I decided it was best not to ask.

For the unwary the route starts as a fast downhill road section before you turn into a lovely undulating wooded trail route with an abundance of bluebells and a babbling brook. A short uphill section of tarmac broke the reverie and onto the next wooded section, a pine plantation. Directing us in was a Marshall with a tin in his hand into which every one was dipping in. Now, with my racing head on, I thought this meant we had to collect a token to hand in on the other side of the wood, they’d had a few gone astray in this section last year. My hand went in to find Jelly Babies – FANTASTIC, I got 2, and they didn’t last long! The route through the pines had been taped and brought us out onto the moor. A brief trek through the heather to circle a big stone and then start the downhill back to the finish; a rocky track to begin with (kept you focused) and then a final bit of road running.

I came in at 57:12 on my watch, a minute and half better than 2006. No results are on their website yet, but I’m sure I had a few more behind this year me as well. Winning time is usually in the region of 35mins.


TF

Well done - TF must be our most prodigious fell racer, and blog contributer, always good to hear what you've been up to



No comments: