Monday, March 03, 2008

Stressed Out?

Ed, Sorry about Saturday, was hoping to do Bleasdale as late as Saturday am. How was your run? I am feeling the green devil of envy for everyone who can still run. Anyway thought I would update you all.

Well I am not so much a proper runner now as an ex runner. Can't believe this is the third time unlucky for a marathon attempt. Being advised to rest my increasingly painful foot and desparate to maintain my fitness I proceeded to do my 45 mile target on the mountain bike. Saturday saw me tackling gale force winds by the Pigeon Tower in an epic Rivington challenge and battling fierce head winds on Sunday. By the time I dismounted I couldn't even walk. So it was off to casualty and 2 x-rays later a stress fracture was confirmed.

No weight bearing and crutches for 6 weeks, and definately no running or cycling. (The doctor didn't say I couldn't horse ride but not sure how to get on and off with the crutches.)

Good news is I get 6 weeks off work. Everything takes longer though. It took me 40 mins to hop down to the gate and collect the paper. I've not started mucking out yet. Leading the little ponies to the field was challenging enough. They took an instant dislike to the crutches and did a runner as I was trying to: 1. open the gate, 2. balance on one leg, 3. keep hold of the rope. Luckily they are suckers for food and were enticed back with carrots!

Loads of apologies to NLN for our marathon. I am so gutted. And don't forget me on Saturday mornings because I will definately miss you all.

On a different note young Andrew and I had a ridiculous argument about a Bugatti, (as you do with 16 year olds.) In the end he said I was too emotionally involved with him. I suggested that this was normal for a parent and didn't he feel emotionally involved with me. Yes, he conceded, but he didn't let it interfere with his life!! Ah well!!


NicO'

Nic, Sorry to hear of your injury; these things always seem to happen just when you feel you're going well. You said that David might have been planning to do Bleasdale, how about sending him out on Saturday mornings to keep us updated, and get well soon!

Ed

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh No NicO

What a disaster, you were going so, well. Blackpool definitely has a hex on you. Still, quite a story to dine out on finishing a Half Marathon and doing 45 miles on a mountain bike with a broken leg... it takes some doing.

We will miss you on Saturdays and look forward to your return.

Every good wish
NLN

Anonymous said...

Nicole

Very sorry to hear of the promlem. I wouldn't worry too much about the loss of fitness. Six weeks or so isn't a long time to be out although it will seem so. At your level of fitness you will soon be back.

Anonymous said...

Bad luck Nicole. These things tend to happen to proper runners. So I'm told. 40 minutes to get to the gate. Sounds ok to me. I might be able to keep up with you now. Good luck on your recovery.

Matt