Sunday, March 30, 2008

Bring on Duddon

A lovely day out in the Peak District, beautiful blue skies, bright sunshine and a bit of wind to help you along. Well it helped on the bit I did; perhaps I should take up clairvoyancy, as predicted I got timed out at Mam Nick. At a guess I missed the cut-off by about 15 mins, there was no control to dib at the cut-off when I got there. The results show us retirees in alphabetical order, I'm in front of Jackie Lee of Eryi Harriers (v fast lady), probably the only time my name will appear in front of her on a list of results, so feel really honoured!!

Despite the lack of much mileage over the last couple of weeks (cold induced) and being 4-5lbs heavier (cold induced) than when I ran Winter Hill, I managed similar times for both. Probably 2:45 today and 2:48 WH, so not too bad as I thought I'd be about 2:40-2:45. When comparing times of other runners over the two races (Edale cut-off/ WH) most runners appear to be about 5-10mins quicker at Edale. Hence I'd need to be able to do sub 2:40 at Winter Hill to ensure I'd make the cut-off at Edale. Once I can do this, I'll have another go.

What about YJ you ask? I know I've not mentioned him in my report, but he said he'll do a report for the blog as well, so I'll let him tell you about his race at Edale in his own words.

In some ways I feel glad I didn't make it. It makes me feel even more determined to make sure I succeed at Duddon Valley. It's also difficult to explain (and maybe difficult for anyone else to understand?), but I feel that completing Edale would have taken some of the 'gloss' off achieving one of my main aims for the year.

Having had a short race today, means there's no excuse for not doing Liver Hill on Tues night. Hopefully I'll get back before it gets dark this year!

TF

Good luck at Marl Pits, at least you'll have an excuse for not picking up a prize. Just tell us what you need to do to get ready for Duddon and we'll make sure you do it. Don't expect any mercy!

Ed

No comments: