Monday, February 11, 2008

Race Report

Well chuffed with my effort yesterday, my first race as a veteran. Thank you everyone for all your help and support, both during the preparation and race day. Congratulations to John for completing the 'double' , pb's for both days.

Coming off the top from the trig point there was no-one in sight, recceing was going to pay off, yes!! The price to pay in that glorious weather - feeling a bit like a 'little red beacon' from the trig point to CP9!

The Abbey runner caught me up at the stream crossing, and asked 'Which way now?', I offered her the choice of routes and she elected to follow me to the stile, fancy that! Just before we got to CP9 she asked 'How much further?' 'About 1.5m' at which point she sprinted off up the hill following the luminous green arrows. Perhaps I should have told her 3.5m?!

Three others came past me on the run in, including (I think) the bloke who had been stood in front of me at the start with the miracle bumbag. Why did I think it was a miracle bumbag, you're asking? Answer - because how he got all his required kit in it I'll never know, I've got bigger handbags. This bumbag only 'looked' big enough to hold a mobile phone, you'd have struggled to get a set of car keys in it as well!


TF

Well done Julie, it was a joy to see you skipping down from the knoll like a good'un, so obviously enjoying your day.

Well done also to Nic and to (very definitely) NLN, completing the Amble in just under 5 hours with what sounds like a well judged team effort and just one minute behind YJ having played nip and tuck with him for the full 24 miles. Condolences to FSS with his (class 1) torn calf, which still failed to stop him achieving a PB ~ good man Ian!

JtE's verdict on the Amble? Very definitely "never again!"

Condolences also to t'Yorkshireman to and Mat Shstitcklegs for their own personal disasters ~ don't ask!

EtU

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well done the girls. That was a terrific run and it indicates to me that the Borrowdale is well within your grasps. See Julie's earlier comments and get your applications in when you can! Well done John also, but we expect it from you. I don't know how Ed got in in the time he did after hanging around with me for 12 miles.

So far as I am concerned, "never say 'never'" as they say. There is also another saying: "The writing's on the wall". I hope not, but we shall see......

JtE