Monday, February 25, 2008

Blackpool Half Marathon

My Nemesis - scene of my first race and nearly my last.

Two years ago I said "Never again," (Take note JtE,) and here I was today, ready to have another go. Well the rain had stopped and it was a chance to see the stricken "Riverdance" ferry, (completely on its side now) so off I set.

Being an optimist (sometimes), I tucked in behind the 8 minute mile pacer thinking I would stick there as long as I could. In the end I only left her for the last half mile to grab a 1 hour 44 min finish. Unlike 2 years ago I did some of the overtaking on the final lap and I never even saw the chicken, with or without headdress, who overtook me at the 12 mile mark 2 years ago!!

All in all it was an excellent day out and I even managed a 2 mile run when I got home so I could tick the correct mileage box for the end of the week (tell us more EtU) . "Are you completely mad?" asked my kids. I think we all know the answer to that!!


NicO

Thought we should pen a bit of a tribute to one of our regular Sat morning team. NicO’s triumph as Horwich Ladies Fell champ (not bad for an old lady) and her excellent outing at the North West Half Marathon yesterday placing 5th in age category with a time of 01:44:22 deserve more than a mention.

Nic, well done and you must promise that you won't outgrow your more pedestrian friends.

NLN and all the gang.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is impressive and, for me, alarming stuff. I never realised when I ran out with you all at the end of last year that I was with a proper runner. On a Saturday, I've just been used to going out with EtU(nderdressed) and JtE"where are we going for lunch". Of course YJ also ran(I nearly wrote "came out", you have to be so careful nowadays) but he deliberately tired himself out the previous day in order to slow himself down to our pace. A typical Friday for him would be to; cycle 15 miles, swim 40 lengths, run 12 miles, unload 3 ships, and dig up 5 tons of potatoes. And all before breakfast!! O.K. I exaggerate. It took him till lunch.
NLN, I fear you are too late with your plea for Nic not to outgrow some of us. You have to think of the group as a launch pad, despite the fact that some of us remain firmly anchored to the ground. My 9min 20 sec mileing for 12 miles against Nics 8 min mileing for 13 miles means I have much work to do.
I'm glad you found my article a little humourous NicO, but for a good laugh you should watch me try to run. However, be prepared to keep your head and eyes very still for a long period of time. Anyway, well done to you for your achievements.

Matt

Anonymous said...

Thanks. Don't know what I did at Blackpool but can't put foot down at the moment. Devastated. Certainly don't feel in danger of leaving Saturday outings unless it's because I can't run anymore. Was hoping to do Bleasdale but not run for days and no improvement. NicO PS Less of the old lady!!PPS Well done TF - lets face it, what to wear in a race is always a problem. Least your hair was nice.