Thursday, January 03, 2008

NLN's 2007 (or part of it) and Other Stuff

Having only become a 'runner' on 29th September 2007, mileage records are something I have never considered. However, it seems that this is now something I need to do. Fortunately, the polar software that I have been using for some considerable time, as a means of general interest in recording HR for fitness and calories burned for the range of activities that I engage in, also has the ability to record miles. Having backtracked and entered this data from joining the Saturday Gang (end Sept) and using Ian's methodical and extensive records for our Sunday outings, it would seem that I have accumulated as near as can be estimated 327 miles, giving an average of 25 mpw. I never thought I would end up recording and publishing this kind of detail but it appears that this is what runners need to do! So I'd better get on with it and make a point of recording miles for this year.

Perhaps my more experienced comrades can answer two questions for me. Is it just miles run, or does one include walking miles? I have left out the 50 or so miles covered in Mallorca in a week's walking in October.

When does a walk become a run? I walk/jog once a week with a friend at her pace, which is slowly improving. Should these 4.5 miles be counted in my log?

I'm feeling slightly detached from you all at the moment but wish everybody a happy new year. Having braved the poor weather in the North Lakes between Christmas and New Year, allowing for only one full day out, this Saturday sees our first outing with the Rucksack Club on their Marsden to Edale jaunt, so not around again (do I count these miles?). Following Saturday, engagements in Glasgow mitigate attendance but looking forward to seeing you all on 19th Jan and from hearing from you on my queries.

Confused of Aspull (NLN)


Ed replies ~ My rule has always been not to include walks, because I would have to include shopping and you would then see how I spend Saturday afternoons. The exception to this is that miles walked when you set off to run but walk because you are exhausted are counted (logic difficult to explain, but if you didn't, you'd have to exclude all the steep uphill bits plus about half of a BG) ~ s'pose you include walking if you would run if you could. Slow running with a less fit companion must count, otherwise only one of us would be able to count Saturday mornings, but not sure what you should do about the bits you walk because your companion is tired. Perhaps you should keep running ahead and then wait for her to catch up; not very friendly, but at least you could count all the miles. You'll have to explain why you're doing this, otherwise she'll just think you're showing off.

For 2008 I am considering ignoring miles and working solely on calories burned. This would involve recording total calorific value value of food and drink consumed, with an adjustment for any weight gain or loss. Are there any obvious flaws in this?

By the way, men don't shop, they go out to buy things only when their old favourite thing has been thrown out by somebody who says it's not fit to be seen in (ask about the tramp my daughter saw).

EtU

No comments: