Sunday, September 30, 2007

First Impressions…

…were ~ "turbo-charged Last of the Summer Wine"! Let me explain, having married someone who morphed into a fellrunner I too have undergone certain changes. However, I do have some difficulty in changing my perception of myself as anything other than a long distance walker and so it was with great trepidation this week that I rang Ed to accept the open invitation to join the gang any Saturday morning for a circumnavigation of the major summits of the West Pennine Moors.
My anxiety grew as Saturday approached, would I be able to stand the pace, the climbs, the distance and so on. I made it clear at the outset that knowing the area I would be more than happy to bail out and return under my own steam if necessary, not wishing to interfere with the training plan. As it turned out I was lucky that this Saturday’s run was planned around Ed and John’s half marathons the day after, so my initial fears were unfounded as an easy run was the order of the day.

The route was thoroughly enjoyable, particularly if you’re a muddite, ranging from the Lower Barn over to Round Loaf from which splendid views could be seen. The approach and arrival at Great Hill heralded a slight change in the weather which closed in a little but then brightened on the descent to White Coppice and a return to sunshine all the way back to the cars. The technology of the day confirmed 11.6 miles with which everyone was pleased, although Ed’s total for the day would include the run to and from home.

Great company, eminently sociable, excellent route planning - highly recommended. I’ll be back for more.

NL Notarunner

You're too kind!

Ed.

No comments: