Thursday, September 06, 2007


Fielden Cup Wednesday 5th Sep

You rotten lot, leaving just me and the Flying Scotsman to fly the flag at this prestigious event! However, not fazed by being so much older than the rest of the assembled talent, I accepted what seemed to be a fairly generous handicap. Unwisely, and over gallantly, however, I went on to say that I could not possibly accept the same handicap as Chrissie (whippet) Sweatman and set off 20 seconds behind her. Isn't it strange how long 20 seconds seems when watching the opposition sprint away from the start, and yet how short it seems when the guy behind you catches you up.

To cut an already fairly short story even shorter, I caught up one guy who set off in front of me (and looked like he'd never put on a pair of trainers before, and probably never would again) whilst everybody else stormed past me in fine style, including the Scotsman. Never saw the Whippet after half way.

Outright winner was Neil Wrigley ~ third from the right, looking at his watch and showing a small bald patch in the above "Dozen" photo. Ian knocked a slice off last year's time and I went from 3rd from the front to second from last in the space of 16 minutes and 33 seconds.
Once again, shame on the rest of you for not turning out, see you soon.
Ed.

No comments: